
In the Ravens’ first 19 years of existence, they drafted a wide receiver with their top pick just once (Mark Clayton, 2005).
They did it a second time when they made ![]()
So does spending a first-round pick at wide receiver just two years ago mean the Ravens aren’t likely to do it again this year?
“No, that would have [no bearing],” General Manager Ozzie Newsome said during Wednesday’s pre-draft press conference.
“If we feel like the best player at 16 is a wide receiver, and we feel like he’s going to come in and help Joe [Flacco] and help the other guys, we’ll turn that card in in a hurry.”
Many mock drafts have the Ravens picking a wide receiver at No. 16. They list either Clemson’s Mike Williams, Western Michigan’s Corey Davis or Washington’s John Ross. It seems Baltimore should have a chance to draft at least one of them.
Any of the three prospects would instantly upgrade Baltimore’s offense, and help make up for the retirement of ![]()
Williams is a big-bodied target who made a number of clutch plays for Clemson last season, including in the national championship game over Newsome’s beloved Alabama.
Davis is also a big-bodied target billed as perhaps the best route-runner in this year’s class who put up monster stats (331 receptions, 5,278 yards, 52 touchdowns) during his four years in the lower-tier MAC conference.
Ross is the speedster who posted a record-breaking 4.22 40-yard dash at this year’s combine, and who is a dynamic home run threat every time he touches the ball at either receiver or returner.
Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta was asked which wide receivers he envisions the Ravens having a chance to get at No. 16. He named just Williams and Ross.
“Obviously, Mike Williams is a great player. We saw him this year what he did at Clemson. He’s a guy that is probably going to go in that range somewhere,” DeCosta said.
“I think John Ross from Washington is an explosive playmaker. He’ll be probably a consideration in that range too. Those would be two guys that I think are very good players that probably warrant that sort of a draft grade.”
After that, DeCosta said Davis and USC’s JuJu Smith-Schuster, who has drawn comparisons to former Raven Anquan Boldin, are two examples of “a bunch of other guys that are probably somewhere [around] there.”
“Corey Davis from Western Michigan would be a guy I think teams like,” DeCosta said. “Smith-Schuster from USC, he’s another guy that two years ago probably would have been a consensus, easy top-20 pick. He’s a very talented player too. Numbers weren’t quite as good this year at USC, but he’s a player that a lot of people like as well.”
There were multiple questions during Wednesday’s press conference aimed at the notion of the Ravens finding a No. 1 wide receiver. As it stands now, the Ravens have just two wide receivers who had more than seven catches last season: Perriman and ![]()
A big question is whether Perriman can become a true No. 1 receiver. The Ravens certainly hoped he would when they drafted him two years ago. After missing his rookie season due to a lingering knee injury, Perriman took strides last year, but has yet to reach that expectation.
“Are you asking if we have a No. 1 wide receiver?” Head Coach John Harbaugh asked one reporter. “I’m hoping Breshad Perriman develops into a playmaker on the roster. Mike Wallace is definitely a playmaker on the roster.”



